Monday, February 9, 2015

Reading Diary A: Raja Rasalu

My reading for Week 5 was interesting because it was actually somewhat similar to the Sindbad stories I read in Week 4, but I enjoyed it a lot more. I've been trying to do some thinking to figure out why exactly that is. Raja Rasalu is a somewhat invincible, incredibly strong and smart hero. He beats a famous king in a game of skill and kills many giants. He's just as infallible as Sindbad, yet I found him to be a much more likeable character. I think there are two reasons for this. The first is that the stories of Raja Rasalu are set in 3rd person, whereas the stories about Sindbad are first person. Each achieves great successes, but in the case of Sindbad it feels as though he is bragging, while it feels like Raja Rasalu's story is just being accurately recounted. I think this has something to do with the fact that I'm especially reactive to what I consider bragging, and Sindbad was especially unlikeable to me. The other factor is that Raja Rasalu has undeniable abilities. His major successes are by virtue of his major capabilities, whereas with Sinbad it appeared that everything was a result of his general luck. I have always felt that capable people are more worthy of respect than those that just fell into a situation, so I enjoyed Raja Rasalu more. I also felt that there was more variety to the stories in Raja Rasalu and then they never seemed to follow just one set storyline.

Links:
Raja Rasalu


2 comments: