Monday, February 2, 2015

Greek Mythological Creatures of Africa Styles

Topic: My Storybook will be about some of the different animals of Ethiopia that are mentioned in Greek mythology. My goal is to find four different mythological beasts to 'do battle with'. My main source for this will likely be the Theoi Greek Mythology Bestiary but I will also spend time searching for other sources. Some possible animals I've already found are Drakones Aithiopikoi and Pegasoi Aithiopikoi. My criteria will be animals only from Africa with the potential of somehow coming to conflict with a human. Some of the stories may combine multiple animals instead of just one.

Bibliography: 
Pliny the Elder, Natural History 8. 72 (trans. Rackham) (Roman encyclopedia C1st A.D.)
Aelian, On Animals 2. 21 (trans. Scholfield) (Greek natural history C2nd A.D.)


Microblogging: I read a description of storytelling in the form of a blog and at the end it mentioned telling the story as though it were via Twitter. I think this could be a super interesting format for the story, almost as though an adventurer is live tweeting his trip through mythological Africa. I think it could be used to provide some comedy in the story.

Pick Your Own Ending: I love the idea of pick your own ending. I used to read a lot of books with this type. Instead of writing just different endings, I think I would write a total of 5 stories with the final 2 being the potential endings. This might be a great way to make the stories even more interesting. They could either be about the same animal but with positive/negative ending or the decision could lead to encountering a different animal and therefore a different experience. 

The Prequel: I also really like the idea of a prequel. I have read stories about a lot of Greek heroes and I think it would be really cool to give an origin story to someone like Achilles. It could take details from already written stories, like a scar or injury, and give them a specific origin. 

Traveler As Storyteller: I was also interested in stories from the perspective of a traveler. I think this would be interesting because it doesn't demand any sort of realism to the stories. Although Greek mythology includes a lot of supernatural aspects, this would allow me to go ahead and change them as a see fit and as I believe will most benefit the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment