Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Reading Diary B: Voyages of Sindbad

Summary: I really feel like I'm just missing the point in these Sindbad stories. The more I read them the less I enjoyed them. I think that I just don't like the structure of a hero constantly being honored and achieving incredible things speaking about it in first person. In elementary school I was a bit of a braggart and ever since my grandpa sat me down and gave me a talking to I've been especially aware of what I perceive as bragging coming from myself and other people. Reading Sindbad just feels like listening to that guy at the high school reunion who wants people to know about all the incredible things he has done in life, even though most of them are definitely to good to be true. I did enjoy that his sixth and seventh voyages were at least tied together by the plot, I thought this plus the addition of complementary character that stayed around made it much more interesting.

Table of Contents:
The Voyages of Sindbad
The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

Sindbad is taken to the elephant graveyard

No comments:

Post a Comment