Monday, April 27, 2015

College Writing Review

I'm an economics major, and as such haven't had a ton of experience with writing in college. I came in with all of my English requirements covered by high school classes, so the real only classes I've had that have involved much writing have been through the Honors College. I took Politics of U.S. Economic Policy with Dean Ray and believe it helped me tremendously. We really focused on the purpose of our writing, making sure that the details we included were necessary to expand on the point we were making. This has lent itself well to the occasional research papers I have to write for economics. I've also worked with both the Oklahoma Group and Center for the Creation of Economic Wealth, and have that each of those has helped with my writing. The research we do and presentations we create really emphasize intentional use of language, which has translated directly to my writing. I would say the best part of my writing for this class has been the opportunity to be as creative or non-creative as a chose to be. On a personal level, I didn't particularly enjoy the weekly storytelling because I prefer to really dedicate a lot of time to my writing, and it was difficult to do that every single week on top of the Storybooks. That's definitely a personal preference though, and the extra credit made it so that I didn't have to write those blogs to still be successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment