Friday, January 16, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The three storybooks I found most interesting all had to do with legendary creatures. https://sites.google.com/site/chrispunlap/introduction Discussed your typical evil legendary creatures, like vampires and werewolves. It also took a very interesting approach for the introduction, telling the story of a monster hunter in a format that I found very interesting. https://sites.google.com/site/seamonsters3043/introduction took this same approach in the form of a monster hunter at sea. I particularly enjoyed the background graphic that the first storybook used, while I thought the graphic of the ocean and all its tides was a really cool way to link to monster hunting there. The third storybook took a different twist to the story, instead looking at humans from the perspective of monsters: https://sites.google.com/site/ahumanencountersconvention/introduction. I enjoyed this twist a lot because it was a very atypical way of telling the story. As a whole, I felt the aesthetic of the pages worked really well with what the authors appeared to be trying to accomplish. The first one definitely gave off a serious and spooky vibe, while the last was the complete opposite. I think I'd also like to do a background that stays put while the words scroll, that was the most interesting background to me. I also think I'd like to repeat the organization that the storybooks used, I felt that the table of contents in the top left made a lot of sense to me. One tweak I might want to make is putting a link to the next story at the bottom of the previous story so it seems like the stories are continuously flowing. I do think I would be most interested in a topic similar to those written about by these authors, especially the one who wrote about the ocean. I find monsters a very interesting concept and I would like to specifically look at monsters in the context of mythology such as the hydra or gorgons.


2 comments:

  1. You found some great Storybooks to look at, Cooper - that one about sea monsters is by a student who is now in the Navy and will be serving on nuclear submarines. Of course, he will be on the lookout for sea monsters too, ha ha.
    See my previous comments about how to do the links - you need link text, not just the raw http:
    Creating Links

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea Monsters seems like a good example of how to do a documentary telling of a myth: they start the introduction with a picture of a map that details the currents of the ocean. This already helps the audience get into the mind of the protagonist. Its almost like book Moby Dick (with obviously more action of course haha): the author makes sure the audience can keep up by presenting the thought process of the protagonist in a very technical, yet digestible way.

    ReplyDelete