Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mythology and Folklore Topics Brainstorm

Topic: Greek myths about humans and monsters
Comments: I've always really enjoyed Greek mythology, starting with a lot of video games that I played earlier in my life such as Age of Mythology and Titan Quest. I like the idea of battle that values ability as opposed to just a person being able to shoot a gun. Achilles was always one of my favorite mythological characters.
Possible Stories: A couple examples are obviously The Odyssey and The Illiad. I know there are also additional stories following warriors like Ajax and Hercules.
Sample Story Comments: I found a story about Jason tricking a dragon to grab the Golden Fleece that I enjoyed.
Bibliography Information: 
Sample Story: Jason and the Golden Fleece
Book Title: Ovid's Metamorpheses
Book Author: Tony Kline
Year: 2000

Topic: Greek gods and constellations
Comments: The interesting other half of Greek mythology is the story of gods and goddesses and how manipulate common men. I think it's very interesting to see how they mess around in the lives of men.
Possible Stories: Any stories about Jupiter, Mars, or the variety of other Greek gods that exist.
Sample Story Comments: I found a story about Mars having an affair with Vulcan's wife and how Vulcan gets revenge for it.
Bibliography Information: 
Mars and Venus
Book Title: Ovid's Metamorpheses
Book Author: Tony Kline
Year: 2000

Topic: Stories from the Middle Ages
Comments: Monty Python and the Holy Grail was a defining film in my early childhood life and ever sinec then I've been very interested in the Middle Ages. Again, I like the idea of success in battle based on strategy or pure ability as opposed firepower.
Possible Stories: A ton of different stories about all the knights of the round table.
Sample Story Comments: I read the story of King Arthur and the Sword Excalibur from the arm in the lake.
Bibliography Information: 
The Sword of Excalibur
Bookie Title: King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table
Book Author: Andrew Lang
Year: 1902

Topic: Brothers Grimm
Comments: I think it's really easy to like Brothers Grimm after hearing so many of the kid-friendly stories from it. It only gets cooler when you get older and get to appreciate the actual stories.
Possible Stories: Lots of different stories based around animals as well as things like Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella.
Sample Story Comments: The story of the Fox and the Cat, and how the Fox was so busy collecting a bag full of clever that he couldn't escape when he had to.
Bibliography Information:
The Fox and The Cat
Book Title: The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales
Book Author: D.L. Ashlimann
Year: 1998-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment